5th International Folklore Congress
Kathmandu 2015, April 24-26 (2072 Baishakh 11-13)
Call for paper
(First Circular, December 25, 2014)
Nepali Folklore Society (NFS) was established in 1995 to promote folklore and folk life studies in the country. The Society has established a mode of folklore studies, disseminated the Nepali concepts of folklore studies and established wider contacts with the folklore societies and scholars from both within the country and abroad during this span of time. As part of the same process of establishing a wider forum for folklore studies the Society organized First International Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2001, Second International Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2003, Third International Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2009, Fourth International Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2012 and First National Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2006, and Second National Folklore Congress in Kathmandu in 2014. The issues of folklore studies in Nepal and the countries of South Asian region have been the focused topics of discussion at the International Congresses among the participants from Asia, Europe and America, whereas the issues of folklore studies in Nepal are focused at the National Congresses among the Nepali participants.
Fifth International Folklore Congress 2015
Nepali Folklore Society has decided to organize the 5th International Folklore Congress from April 24 to 26, 2015 (2072 Baishakh 11-13). Like the earlier congresses, it will also be an academic forum for the scholars that include researchers, teachers and practitioners working in different disciplines such as folkloristics, sociology, anthropology, geography, culture, history, linguistics, literature, musicology, tourism, computer engineering/science (especially working in the field of technologies related to intangible cultural heritage), and many more—and inheritors of the intangible cultural heritage from various parts of the globe.
Theme of the Congress
The main focus of the Congress will be on Folklore, Folklife and Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The sub-themes will be as follows:
- Folklore and intangible cultural heritage - Folklore, Traditional Knowledge and Cultural Right
- Folklore and Development Issues - Folklore, Gender and Power
- Folklore, Creative Writing and Poetry - Folklore of Politics and Politics of Folklore
- Nepali Folklore, Folklife, ICH and Cultural Studies - Folklore, Performing Arts and Folk Language
- Folklore, Identity and Inclusion - Folklore, Intangible Cultural Heritage and Ownership
- Folklore, Tourism and Cultural Industry - Folk Elements in Creative Writings
- Folklore, Intellectual Property and Legal Issues - Folklore, Education and Cultural Empowerment
- Folklore, Creative Process and Modern Sensibility - Folklore and Folklife Studies in SAARC countries
- Folklore, Information Technology and ICH - Theoretical and Methodological Issues in Folklore Studies
Submission of abstract: Till February 15, 2015
Notification of acceptance: February 25, 2015
Submission of full paper: March 10, 2015
Congress: April 24-26, 2015
Language of Congress
There will be papers both in English and Nepali languages, which will be presented, in different sessions according to the composition of the audience, and language chosen by the presenters. However, the working language of the international congress will be English.
Format of the abstract
The abstracts will be published along with program and other related contents of the Congress. The format of the abstract should be as follows:
- Size: 200-250 words (Excluding title and author information)
· Language: English in Roman script and Nepali in Devanagari script (Abstracts in Nepali language should be in Devanagari Unicode)
- The title of the paper should be followed by name (also middle name if any) and surrname of the author(s), affiliation of the author(s), email of the author(s), and mobile phone of the author(s) in the abstract.
Please send your abstract at: email@example.com
Registration fees for the congress will be as follows:
- Nepali participants NR 2500
- Participants from SAARC countries and China NR 5000
- Other countries US$ 100
There will be 15% discount for early registration made before Mrch 1, 2015.
The details about the payment mode will be provided later.
Foreign visitors to Nepal should hold valid passport and visa. The Indian scholars traveling by air/land should hold their passports or some valid documents for identification at the airport and entry point. Further information will be found in the following link:
Various international flights operate to and from Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu. We suggest you to travel by air to Kathmandu and inform us about your arrival and departure dates once finalized in your travel plan. If you plan to come by land from India or China, we suggest you to contact us mentioning name of your entry point, prior to leaving for Kathmandu, with your dates and time of departure and arrival.
A Special Folk Performance Session
There will be a special session for folk performances (folktale telling, folksong singing, and other performances) in the Congress. The poets and singers are requested to inform us if you want to take part in the session. We request you to email your work to be performed (folktale, folksong, etc.) with English translations as well.
Exhibitions on Nepali Folklore and Folklife studies
There will be special exhibitions of Folklore and Folklife studies on different folk groups of Nepal living in different parts of the country, carried out by Nepali Folklore Society.
Please write or call the following persons of the Nepali Folklore Society for further information:
· Prof. Tulasi Diwasa, President
Life Member, Nepal Academy
P.O. Box 3326, Kathmandu, Nepal
Telephone/Fax: (977-1-5260090) (R)
Telephone/Fax: 977-01-4410706 (O)
Telephone: 977-01-4412487 (O)
Mobile No: 977-9851097351
· Prof. Dr. Abhi Subedi, Vice President
Post Box: 2371, Kathmandu, Nepal
Mobile No: 977-9851075853
· Prof. Dr. C.M .Bandhu, General Secretary
P.O. Box 31, Kathamandu, Nepal
Mobile No: 977-9841180417
· Bhim Narayan Regmi, Secretary
Mobile No: 977-9851132488